After the Service
After the funeral has ended, and after sitting Shiva there is a lot of paperwork that needs to be done.
Some Institutions will ask for a copy of a death certificate, and some will not. When a person dies in the state of New Jersey you can expect to receive your certificates in about 7 to 10 days after the funeral. If a person dies in another state it can take a few days longer.
This is a list of things we have compiled that shows you what most families have to handle. Not all of these will be applicable to you but It’s a great place to get started.
Family Follow-Up Checklist
- Send acknowledgement cards for memorial donations, food and sympathy cards.
- Transfer all real estate properties.
- Apply for widowed person exemption
- Notify insurance companies: health, life, and auto.
- Apply for Social Security survivor benefits 1-800-772-1213 – Social Security will be notified by Louis Suburban Chapel.
- Apply or Veteran’s burial and survivor benefits.
- Pension benefits.
- Notify accountant/tax preparer ( unless attorney is preparing final tax returns).
- Notify Stockbroker.
- Change ownership of joint or solely owned stocks.
- Check on IRA and retirement accounts.
- Transfer Bonds.
- Notify Bank.
- Change all jointly held accounts and correct tax identification numbers.
- Cancel direct deposit retirement benefit payment notes.
- Re-establish title to safe deposit box.
- Re-establish all outstanding mortgages and personal notes.
- Notify Department of Motor Vehicles to transfer titles of all registered vehicles, mobile homes, and boats registered in the deceased name.
- Cancel deceased driver’s license.
- Notify all jointly held credit card account companies.
- Cancel all individually held credit cards of the deceased.
- Change all jointly held accounts
- If a will must be probated, contact your attorney.
- Cancel deceased’s voter registration.